This is the question of the day.
Should I drink ice cold water or should I drink room temperature or warm water. Which is best for my system?
I have always preferred room temperature water myself.
There are scientific reasons why you should be mindful of the temperature of your drinking water according to “The Alternative Daily” a publisher of health tips.
A glass of ice water sounds like the perfect thirst quencher but it could be harmful in some situations. Drinking warm water can be beneficial.
Cold water can interfere with a number of bodily processes and can be detrimental to your health. Here’s why;
- Our body is naturally 37C degrees and when you drink cold water your body has to use a lot of energy to regulate your core temperature. When this energy is used for body temperature regulation it robs energy from other more important functions your body needs such as digestion and nutrient absorbtion.
- Very cold water can actually give you a sore throat. It may cause mucus to build up in your respiratory system potentially causing infection and irritate your throat.
- Drinking cold water gives you brain freeze and could go on to cause a longer lasting headache or migraine.
- Ice can be dirty, containing bacteria and fungus. In some households, ours included, ice cubes can sit in the ice tray of your freezer for a very long time. They almost get stale. If the ice tray is not closed in the ice can pick up bacteria from other food products nearby.
- Drinking cold water or cold beverages during a meal causes the fats in that meal to congeal in the stomach and intestines and slow down the digestion process.
Drinking hot or warm water has many benefits:
- Drinking warm or hot water soothes the muscles of the abdomen which in turn can relieve menstrual craps and abdominal cramps.
- Drinking a cup of hot water first thing in the morning jump starts your metabolism. The warmth increases your body temperature and increases your calorie burn.
- Drinking warm water helps the body detox.
- Drinking warm water helps improve skin health.
- Hot water is a good treatment for colds. It dissolves phlegm and clears your airways. It is also soothing to a sore throat.
- If you are constipated, try drinking hot water. It helps your body maintain regularity by helping with hydration, food digestion and helps to flush the intestines.
- Warm water helps kidneys flush out toxins.
- Chinese medicine believes that drinking warm water similar to your body temperature helps maintain balance in the body giving you more clarity of mind, less depression, less thirst, less bloating etc.
- Drinking warm water helps with blood flow and circulation.
If you find drinking plain water boring then up the nutritional value of the warm water by squeezing fresh lemon juice into it. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is very beneficial. Lemon contains many nutritional benefits such as vitamin C, antioxidants, magnesium, calcium etc. and will give your body a big immunity boost.
So next time you think you would like an “ice water”, think again, put the kettle on and warm up some water. It is a simple health boost.