I don’t eat fast food and there are many reasons why. First and foremost, there is very little nutritional value to fast food and it is made of some horrendously damaging chemicals and saturated bad fats, lots of sodium and most likely food coloring to make it look attractive to the hunger center of your brain.
If you have eaten a fast food feast, you may have noticed that your body is possibly still hungry. That’s weird right. You just scarfed down a bacon cheese burger on a white bun with a large side of processed and deep fried fries, a large sugary coke and maybe even an apple turnover to end the meal on a sweet note.
There are valid reasons why your body still feels like it could eat more. When you eat a fast food meal, pretty much VOID of nutrition, lacking in macro and micronutrients, good proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats, your body and brain are not nourished. Your body has not been given the quality energy it needs so the fullness moves away quickly after this fast food feast.
Junk food does not supply the body with the nutrient density that a healthy meal provides. Not all calories are created equal.
Eating a HUGE salad of fresh raw veggies and greens and healthy fats will provide your body with good nutrition. The calories of that HUGE salad may be the same as the calories of the burger, fries and coke but the fiber, iron, protein, antioxidants, complex carbs and good fats in the salad go into your body and are used to keep the furnace burning efficiently for several hours. The junk food is void of all this goodness and is quickly digested going nowhere but out the exit, leaving little value and potentially damaging your body on it’s way through.
When you eat food that is full of good protein and fiber it is slowly digested and releases nutrients over a period of time. If your body does not get these nutrients it continues to signal “hunger” and a vicious cycle of junk food and refined sweets consumption continues.
Just the label “junk food” tells the tale. It’s made of inferior raw materials, heavily processed, with the main goal of being profitable with a long shelf life. The goal of “junk food” makers is not “good nutrition”.
When food is processed it is altered in such a way that it is stripped of nutrients. To make this food have taste appeal it is mixed with low cost fillers like GMO corn, soy, trans fats and chemicals that our bodies are really not meant to eat. This food is also altered with flavor enhancers like high sodium MSG and many other taste boosters. Artificial colors and other chemical additives are put in the mix to give the food “curb appeal” so to speak. If you read the label of processed foods you will probably see ingredients like “maltodextrin” and even things like “Yellow 5” or “red 40” and more.
I will give you a list of ingredients that are found in the North American fast food world that you really don’t want to put in your precious body. But if you indulge in “junk food” “fast food” then you are ingesting some of these nasty and carcinogenic ingredients that are keeping you hungry and physically unsatisfied after eating them. They could be leading your body into serious illness too. Something to consider????
- Food dyes – super carcinogenic, linked to hyperactivity in children
- propylene glycol – a key component of antifreeze
- nitrites – in cured meats and fast food meats – linked to pancreatic cancer
- Caramel coloring – linked to thyroid, liver and lung cancers, leukemia…in cola, fast foods and their dipping sauces
- Carminic acid – from dried crushed bodies of female scale insects called cochineal and that includes beetles. Yuck! In some chicken nuggets.
- Silicon Dioxide – also known as sand – anti-caking agent used in fast foods. Also found in cement, ceramics, glass and on the beach.
- Ammonium Sulfate – a commercial fertilizer, also found in fast food bread products as a dough enhancer
- Cellulose – a.k.a. Wood pulp – used as a thickener in many fast food products. Kind of like eating saw dust.
- MSM or “mechanically separated meat” (pink slime) in most fast food chicken nuggets. It’s a paste like substance produced by forcing poultry bones through a sieve under high pressure to separate bone from edible tissue. Dye is added to make it look more like white chicken meat. Grosses me out….how about you?
- TBHQ – Tertiary butylhydroquinoine – petroleum derived chemical, a form of butane, used to stop fats from oxidizing in fast foods providing a longer shelf life
- MSG – monosodium glutamate – very common flavor enhancer, making some people weak, heart palpitations, headache, flushing, sweating, chest pain. Pretty crazy….is it worth it?
- Dimetylpolysiloxane – a.k.a. Silly Putty – used in deep fryers in fast food restaurants to keep the oil from foaming, making the oil last longer. Oil reheated becomes very carcinogenic….just saying.
- L-Cysteine – a.k.a. Duck feathers/human hair – yes, that is correct. It is used to condition bread dough to make it more pliable. ( I’m going to toss my lunch – healthy lunch albeit – but this really has me squeamish)
- Azodicarbonamide – a.k.a. Rubber yoga mats – found in at least 500 food products in the US. A popular fast food sandwich shop, Subway just announced that it was removing this from it’s sandwich bread.
So I ask….are you still hungry for that fast food fix?
After you have read this post, and if you venture to a fast food counter soon, I’m sure this information will play with your mind and your appetite.
Sorry to spoil the fun….I did not make it up. I’m just sharing it as it should be known. Fast food is fake food, in “chemical costume” to look like real food.