This beautiful rainbow is what we were greeted with on Sunday morning March 29th at 7:30 a.m. It was a sight that had me scrambling to turn my phone on and get to my camera. Thank goodness I was able to capture this gift from God while it was there shining it’s beautiful prism of colors on our back yard. Nature at it’s finest.
During this time of world wide chaos with the Covid19 virus invading our spaces, our neighbourhoods, our favorite places to socialize, our lives in general, finding small blessings such as a rainbow helps me to keep hope in my heart for brighter days ahead.
If there is one thing this “shut in” is teaching us…..there is more to life than the restaurants, the movie theatres, the shopping malls, the overflowing aisles of the fanciest grocery stores…..that we can no longer access during this crisis.
This is not the time to be selfish….self centered….hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer. It is a time to check in on your neighbors via phone or email. It is a time to help out someone in need, whether it be placing a grocery order for someone. Picking up a curbside grocery order for someone who can’t do it themselves due to age or disability or immune system weakness. It is a time to donate to the food bank. It is a time for the 1% (as they are called) to step up and help out. I know this is happening. I hear about it on the news, I hear about it among our friends. It’s a time for caring and sharing, with 6 feet of space between us.
That is just one aspect of this time of “staying home”.
Another lesson that we have learned with an exclamation mark! …….is simplifying your home…..cleansing for the mind and soul. It’s time to clean out your basement, your garage, your cupboards…..purging…..and boxing it all up for a local charity such as the Salvation Army or the Shelter for Women. This act of passing on all of the “stuff” we gather and do not need anymore could be the treasure of someone less fortunate.
This is an unprecedented time….. A moment in our lives which will go down in the history books as the biggest event to change the world.
I used the rainbow as my “lucky charm”….hoping that when this world crisis is over, society comes back with a different attitude towards what is important. I hope that the following areas of society are softened so that we can all live in harmony and stop chasing the elusive pot of gold at the other end of the rainbow.
My rainbow wishes:
- Less greed. It’s a “dog eat dog” world right now and it is being fed by the glamorized “celebrityhood”.
- Less narcissism. I think some social media platforms are breeding a generation in this regard.
- Less competition. It seems in this world somebody has to win all the time. It’s no longer how you play the game, but winning is the goal. For example look at the way the Houston Astros won the MLB World Series…..cheating. There is cheating in every facet of society today.
- Less abuse towards animals on this planet. They were created with purpose. They were not put here for us to abuse and cause suffering towards.
- Less focus on ‘“big money”. This leads to corruption. My hubby and I have been watching the document-series “DIRTY MONEY” on Netflix. WOW. If you haven’t seen it, I would recommend watching it.
- Less bullying and judgement of others. We are all created equal. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. We all deserve our footprint on this planet. Nobody should be able to take their frustrations out on someone else….not ever.
- We need to get manners back. Have you listened to some, not all, but some youth today? Do you hear them say “thank you” or “your welcome”? I have gone so far as to say “thank you” to another person who was doing a service to a young person and when the young person failed to acknowledge the situation as a “thank you” moment…..I said “thank you” for them. What’s up with that?
- We need to get back to “respecting our elders”. The youth of today do not fear authority, do not respect elders, police, government etc. For example what were all of those college and university kids doing on the beach in Florida last week when the Covid19 pandemic was spreading like wildfire????? Disobeying orders from their elders.
- We need to get back to cleaner nutrition. Stop the madness with processed food. It is killing our planet and killing our people. We should be teaching “proper nutrition” in grade 1 and continue it as a subject in every grade right through to university. Diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease and more disease is rampant in our society. It is a fact that general clarity of brain function and common sense are waning. Let’s get back to organic or at least whole food cooking at home. Less fast food toxins and garbage = less dumbed down society!
- We need to “love ourselves” and stop chasing “youth” through plastic surgery, Botox, boob jobs and other false narratives. If we could just love ourselves better….a few of these other issues would correct themselves. You can’t love another with your whole heart unless you love yourself first.!
- We need less fear….of one another. Why do so many people in this society feel the need to have guns and ammo in their homes now as a protector from others. This is insanity….in my view.
- We need less of the “us vs them” mentality. Who we are on the outside does not change the inside. We all have common goals to tend to our families.
- We need less division where “politics” is concerned. The divide between parties now is so vile and bitter, turned into a “hyper-partisan” world. We all need to get over the “ego” and come together for the betterment of this continent, this country, this world.
- We need more laughter….good CLEAN laughter. Have you taken a moment to look back on the old “Carol Burnett Show”. The skits those actors did for the audience were hilarious and were not X-RATED. Now you go to a comedy show or channel and it’s all about sex, drugs, alcoholism, mental illness, politics, greed etc. Is this what we need to make us laugh. Think about it. What happened to good clean humor? Bring it back.
- We need to stop pointing fingers and blaming others. We see it in the highest seats of government, we see it daily. We can’t take responsibility for our own failures. We have to blame it on someone else. This needs to change. We need to be responsible for our errors of judgement and learn from our mistakes.
- We need to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes before we criticize or judge the other person. That is called empathy. We need more of it. We are all full of advise for others, yet until you really know what it’s like to be disabled or dealing with illness or other problems, we cannot know another’s motivation. We can have an opinion but it doesn’t mean we are always right.
- We need more time in the great outdoors and less time behind the computer screen or the tv screen. Fresh air is good for the soul and the physical body.
- We need less focus on material stuff….having this “stuff” will not make you a happier person. In many cases, it will add to your stress level. Especially if you join the mega-millions who go in debt to get it.
- We need more “US” instead of “ME”.
- We need to simplify….ease the pressure of this “keep up with the Jones” mentality.
- We need to live in a more grateful mindset. When we focus on the good things in life, the things we lack will not be so apparent. As my beautiful friend always says “change the way you look at things and the things you look at will change!”
This RESET of society is going to be interesting. I make these wishes on my rainbow. If we could get these things back to where they were a few generations ago it would be a “better world”. This is just my opinion.
Stay safe and healthy. Love your family and your friends and your neighbors like you’ve never loved them before. It’s the time for LOVE!