I wrote about this elixir several years ago. I am revisiting it again as I am now taking it daily to aid with digestion…as per suggested by my Naturopathic doctor.
Apple Cider Vinegar has been studied and has been on the “good for you” list of most nutritionists and naturopathic doctors and dieticians.
There are many good reasons you should add apple cider vinegar to your daily life. It’s good for germ fighting, good for digestion, helps to detox your body, is good for your complexion, energy booster and heart health.
This elixir is made of apple juice. I buy Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar which is organic. It is raw and unpasteurized. The “Mother” is included in it which is the naturally occurring pectin and protein formed from the fermentation.
When bacteria and yeast are added to apple juice fermentation takes place and the liquid turns to acetic acid….which is vinegar. This process and end product have been used for 1000’s of years and for many different applications.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Improves digestion. I take a tablespoon of ACV about 15 minutes before dinner each evening and it improves my digestion. It helps to break food down in your stomach. It contains minerals and cholesterol lowering pectin, fat burning acetic acid.
- Regular consumption of ACV in water is thought to correct low stomach acid which leads to heartburn. The pectin fiber soothes the entire gastrointestinal tract helping to prevent cramps, bloating and gas.
- ACV can be used as a mild laxative in cases of occasional constipation.
- ACV is full of beneficial acid which help to improve your intestinal flora. These include acetic and manic acid, both antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-fungal, helpful for people on high sugar diets.
- Adding ACV diluted in water each day, gives your bodies immune system a big boost. It helps your lymph system by cleansing lymph nodes and breaks up mucus in the body. Over time this can relieve sinus congestion and allergies.
- ACV acetic acid slows down digestion of simple carbohydrates, in turn regulating blood sugar levels resulting from a high carb diet. ACV plays a role in improving insulin, used in some diabetic treatments.
- ACV lowers blood pressure according to many studies. The nitric oxide production helps to relax blood vessels, benefiting your cardiovascular system. Over time, daily consumption will result in lower blood pressure, naturally.
- ACV is used in many detox protocols. Drinking diluted ACV helps to cleanse your liver.
- ACV is shown to suppress the accumulation of body fat and liver lipids. Using ACV before meals helps to reduce hunger levels which is a benefit to weight loss.
- ACV can reduce mouth bacteria therefore improving halitosis (bad breath). Add a tablespoon to a small amount of water and gargle for 20 seconds.
- ACV balances your skin’s pH levels and it has been suggested that ACV is a good skin tonic.
- Making an apple cider drink and sipping on it after dinner while you are enjoying a bit of reading or television, promotes potassium levels in your body and helps reduce leg cramps and restless legs.
- ACV also improves stamina and energy by using it as a general daily tonic. Despite being acidic outside the body it is a premier alkalizing drink much like lemon water.
With all of these benefits to such an easy and inexpensive tonic, why not start trying it in your nutrition arsenal. I find I a only taking my ACV drink before evening meals but I’m going to try and include in before breakfast and lunch whenever possible. I know it is helping me with my digestion so I think bumping up to 3 times a day can only increase the benefits I feel already.
Apple Cider Vinegar is the vinegar I use for salad dressings too. It is delicious mixed with olive oil and some herbs and salt and pepper….a good combo for dressing up your greens.