I know…you are saying “toothpaste is bad for us too????”
Unfortunately the answer to this is “yes”, potentially bad for us.
Conventional toothpaste is full of “stuff” not fit for human consumption. Have you noticed on your toothpaste tube or packaging it comes in that it is not to be ingested? If it is ingested you should head to your nearest medical facility for observation.
You use toothpaste at least twice a day over your lifetime and that adds up to a very large amount of toothpaste. Your mouth is soft tissue and very absorbant. Even though you spit the toothpaste out after brushing, some of the ingredients in it are getting absorbed and enter your bloodstream which is circling your entire body.
Some of the bad ingredients used in conventional toothpaste are:
- Tricolsan: apparently this is added to some toothpastes as an antibacterial to help fight plaque and gum disease. While it may help in this department it is possibly causing your body to become antibiotic resistant, for one thing. It is also causing hormone disruption which could potentially lead to hormone related cancers such as breast, ovarian, testicular and prostate. Triclosan has been banned in other countries but is still permitted in toothpaste here. Studies show that we humans have large amounts of triclosan in our urine. Hmmmmm.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfite or SLS: This chemical is responsible for the foaming action of your toothpaste. While it’s causing the bubbles it is interfering with your taste buds. SLS has been associated with canker sores. SLS is said to be contaminated with 1,4 dioxane which is carcinogenic. This ingredient is listed as an insecticide as well and could very well be harmful to our environment as well as our own personal health.
- Flouride: This has been used in toothpaste for years as it was thought that it helped to prevent tooth decay. Studies are now proving that flouride is a very toxic substance. Children are swallowing flouride in their toothpaste daily as they are not quite able to spit it all out. Swallowing flouride is detrimental to our health. This toxin accumulates in our tissues over time and wreaks havoc with our neurological and endocrine systems. The crazy thing about flouride is it is still added to most municipal drinking water.
- Aspartame etc.: Added to toothpaste to give it some sweetness on the tongue. Artificial sweeteners are not good in any form whether it be in food or in toothpaste. It is converted to formaldehyde in your brain and does damage to your tissues. I definitely AVOID all artificial sweeteners with MS as it is a neurological disease and I don’t need to add “insult to injury” so to speak. Using artificial sweeteners can lead to methanol poisoning and could present itself as headache, dizziness, nausea, gastrointestinal issues, chills, numbness, pain etc.
- Propylene Glycol: used in antifreeze, paints, enamels and other chemical applications, in it’s pharmaceutical grade form is added to many personal care products as an emulsifier. It is known to cause skin, eye, lung and organ toxicity.
- Diethanolamine or DEA: found in many foaming products such as toothpaste. It is a hormone disrupter. Combined with other chemicals it can form a carcinogen called NDEA linked to cancers of the stomach, esophagus, liver and gall bladder. Yikes. It is ranked a 10 for dangerous on the Enviromental Working Group website which is the highest score a chemical can get for toxicity in their cosmetic database.
- Microbeads: those tiny little abrasive beads in personal hygiene products. Which have recently been banned in Canada….yeah. They are very bad for the environment, animals, and humans.
Don’t you think this information is scary? Doesn’t it make you kind of angry? Why would you want to use these chemicals in your mouth twice a day for a lifetime?
My suggestion is to go to your local health food store or the whole foods section of your favorite grocery store and seek out the natural toothpastes in that section that don’t have flouride and all of those toxic chemicals in them. There are many brands to choose from. Some brands you may find in these stores are “Tom’s of Maine”, “Jason’s”, “Green Beaver”, “Nature’s Gate”….to name a few. They are a bit more expensive than your conventional brands but well worth the investment in your oral health and beyond.
I use Mercola brand toothpaste made from all natural ingredients. It’s minty, refreshing, flouride free, gluten free, SLS free, paraben free, vegetarian friendly and contains no dyes. Sounds pretty clean to me. I get it from www.mercola.com which is an American website and they ship to Canada. I have been using this brand for years. I never have any cavities and I go to the dentist every 6 months. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a cavity. Of course a healthy diet along with healthy toothpaste keeps my oral health strong.
Just another thing for you to consider when striving for good health. It all adds up.