I am a GREEN TEA JUNKIE. I love my green tea. I drink it every day, all day until late afternoon. I’m sure you have heard that green tea has so many benefits.
One of the active ingredients in green tea is “epigallocatechin-3-gallate” or EGCG. This is the most abundant catechin in tea. A catechin is a disease fighting flavonoid and antioxidant.
Green tea is the healthiest beverage on the planet, loaded with antioxidants and nutrients which strengthen many systems in the human body.
For starters the polyphenols in tea help reduce inflammation and help to fight cancer. About 30% of green tea is polyphenols and EGCG (catechins). These powerhouse antioxidants help prevent cell damage, reducing the formation of free radicals in the body. Free radicals are known to speed up aging and are involved in many disease processes. Drinking your daily dose of green tea will help reduce these damaging cells and offer you protection.
When choosing your brand of green tea….go big or go home. Don’t buy cheap, conventional green tea as it will have a lot of flouride in it. Good quality, organic, non-GMO brands of green tea can be found in the natural section of your market or health food store and are well worth the few dollars more when it comes to your health.
Along with the antioxidant protection from green tea, there are other great benefits:
- Green tea offers a fat burning boost. If you were to look at labels for any supplement touted to be fat burning you will likely find green tea as one of the ingredients. Green tea increases fat burning and boosts the metabolic rate. The caffeine in green tea improves physical performance burning fat cells as energy.
- Observational studies have shown that green tea drinkers are less likely to develop several types of cancer listing breast, prostate and colorectal cancers as a few where risk is lowered from drinking green tea regularly.
- Green tea can improve brain function and has been studied and shown to protect the neurons of the brain, lowering risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Dental health is improved with regular consumption of green tea. Studies show the catechins kill bacteria in the mouth and help to keep plaque at a minimum. Green tea also reduces bad breath.
- Reduce the risk of Type 2 Diabetes with regular green tea drinking. Green tea can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels. Japanese studies show that those who drink the most green tea have a 43% lower risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
- Green tea drinking may reduce your risk for cardiovascular disease by improving cholesterol levels.
With all of these benefits from drinking green tea, I’m sure glad I overindulge in this healthful habit.
Wow…I think I will put the kettle on right now and make myself a big mug of green tea.
If you are an “ice tea drinker” don’t buy store made, sugar laden, artificial ice tea. Put a big pot of water on your stovetop with several green tea bags in and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat off. Then let the tea bags steep in the hot water until the water cools. If you need to sweeten it up then add some healthy sweetener such as stevia. Store in a large glass jug in your fridge and voila…cold, healthy green ice tea….a refreshing and healthy summer cooler.
The photo above is the kind of green tea I drink. It is my all time favorite brand and trust me, I’ve tried them all. You can find Organic India green tea at health food stores and online health food retailers.