I can’t believe I’m posting about Marijuana in a “health” blog. But….it’s a proven health benefit to use medical marijuana for many ailments, Multiple Sclerosis being one of them.
I finally went to my doctor to get my card for purchasing medical marijuana in September, 2017. It was an easy procedure….a bit of paper work and finding a dispensary to fulfill my needs and voila….I’ve got medical grade Marijuana in my health arsenal.
One thing I must tell you is I’m not smoking Marijuana. I don’t want to take it in that form as I strongly believe smoking anything is not good for our precious respiratory system. I’m taking CBD capsules, one in the morning and one a bedtime. There is no THC content so there is no BUZZ with these capsules. I am also eating an edible about 90 minutes before bed…allowing that time for the Marijuana to take affect. The edibles such as chocolates or gummy bears, do contain THC so you do get a buzz from them but taking them before bed, you sleep through the buzz. This is a good thing. No buzz related munchies….a good nights sleep….no ill effects in the morning upon waking…and you know that you had a restorative sleep as a result of the Marijuana edibles.
Marijuana is becoming legal around North America and overseas. There’s no stopping it from going mainstream. Research shows that marijuana has many benefits for many ailments and chronic diseases. It’s good that it will finally be available to help many of us who are fighting a fight.
I am going to touch on a few of the many ailments helped by marijuana. (I will call medical marijuana “MM” in this part of my post.)
- Marijuana can be used in the treatment of Glaucoma as it decreases the pressure in the eye which is a real benefit to this eye disease. This benefit can certainly stop blindness which is the end stage of glaucoma. I have loved ones who suffer from glaucoma. Maybe someday in the future I will be able to convince them to try MM to help with their glaucoma.
- MM is being used to help prevent epileptic seizures. The THC which are active ingredients in MM control seizures by binding to brain cells that control excitability. The THC promotes relaxation.
- CBD has been studied and is showing positive signs of preventing cancer from spreading. The Cannabidiol turns off a gene called Id-1. Cancer cells produce more of this gene than healthy cells and spread it throughout the body. The CBD halts this cell reproduction. There are even studies that suggest the cannabis compounds can even kill cancer cells. AMAZING….
- MM is a great pain reliever and nausea suppressor. This makes it a good fit to relieve ill effects of chemotherapy.
- MM has been shown to reduce progression of Alzheimer’s Disease. The THC in marijuana slows the formation of amyloid plaques by blocking the enzyme in the brain that produces them.
- MM eases the painful symptoms of MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. MM also relaxes muscles that would cause spasticity in MS patients. I find that the MM definitely relieves spasticity in my leg muscles. I also benefit from having deep and sound sleep at night resulting in feeling refreshed and rejuvenated each morning.
- MM is beneficial for inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s and colitis. The THC and cannabidiol interact with cells in the gut and help with gut function and immune responses. Crohn’s is one inflammatory bowel disease that responded very well to MM use. The cannibinoids in the MM help the gut regulate bacteria and intestinal function.
- Those suffering from arthritis pain will find relief from using MM.
- Believe it or not….MM users are generally leaner than the average person out there which surprised me to learn. Marijuana has long been blamed for the “munchies” which would promote weight gain but studies show that MM users have healthier metabolism and a better insulin response.
- Lupus, which is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself, is slowed down by the calming effect on the immune system. It also helps with pain and nausea.
- Parkinson’s tremors and pain are reduced from MM and motor skills are improved for Parkinson’s patients after using MM.
- Post traumatic stress disorder is responding wonderfully with the use of MM. The THC helps to regulate the body systems that cause fear and anxiety.
- Stroke victims and concussion brain injuries are responding well to MM use.
- MM is also helping some people trying to quit drinking alcohol. MM is a far less harmful substance than alcohol.
So, isn’t that enough of a list of positive impacts on diseases and chronic conditions. I think so.
I’m optimistic that the legalization of marijuana is going to be of great benefit to many people who are currently being treated with strong and toxic pharmaceuticals.
The creator gave us everything we need, and marijuana is one of those gifts in nature we need to believe in and put to good use.
I’m a believer!