There is nothing quite so uncomfortable than when your pipes aren’t working…so to speak. In other words you are constipated. It happens to all of us from time to time. It is recommended that we strive for at least 25 grams of fiber per day. Most people don’t get that much, nor do they even think about fiber during their day when they are planning meals.
Imbalances in the body can show up in so many unsuspecting places you’d never relate to digestion but it’s true. Some of the symptoms when you are not functioning at your peak are:
- skin rashes and acne
- periodic skin dryness like dermititis in patches around the nose, elbows etc.
- water retention and bloating
- intestinal gas
- food allergies or sensitivities
- abdominal pain
- acid reflux
- food cravings
There are things you can do to help your digestion along. I personally, consume large amounts of chia and flax seed in my smoothie each morning. This is very helpful and the high fiber content of these two foods guarantees I will hit the recommended fiber grams each day.
Some other things you can do too.
- drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning is good for your liver and blood.
- Avoiding red meat, processed food, dairy and deep fried foods
- Alcohol can cause a slow down in digestion. Consume sparingly, if at all
- Poor food combining can cause putrification in the gut causing gas and bloating. Do not eat protein with sweet stuff. Try to eat fruit on an empty stomach away from other foods if possible.
- Drinking liquids with a meal dilutes your naturally occurring digestive enzymes. Try not to drink liquids at meal time, especially cold or carbonated beverages. If you need to drink while eating then just take a few sips of room temperature or warm water or herbal tea.
- Strive to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. This will certainly have a positive affect on digestion.
- Do not eat standing up or when in a rush. Take time to sit and eat your meal in a leisurely fashion. Chew your food well as digestion begins in the mouth.
- Feel grateful for the food you are about to eat. Say a blessing or appreciation for the bounty. Your state of mind has a huge impact on how your body takes in and uses the food you are feeding it.
- strive for 25 grams of fiber per day, eating whole grains, fresh fruit, beans and legume, nuts and seeds
A smooth moving digestive system makes for a happy and healthy body. Being mindful of your elimination on a daily basis is a good thing. Pay attention.