There are so many commercial brands of shampoo, conditioner, gels, mousses, pomades, sprays, colors etc.
Are they safe? This is a good question. I will try and answer that in a few paragraph’s.
My answer to this question is “I would say that most commercial conventional hair products are questionably safe.”
I gave up on conventional shampoos, conditioners and other hair care products years ago. The only brand I use now is the beautiful artisan crafted, totally natural, chemical free products from Living Libations. You’ve heard me tout these products before. Just scroll down this page to the bright colorful banner for LIVING LIBATIONS and you will be immediately taken to Nadine’s site where you can stock up on all kinds of PURE, NATURAL, CHEMICAL FREE body products.
Back on the subject of hair care, there are several questionable, carcinogenic chemicals that go into the store bought, off the shelf conventional hair care. It’s actually very scary. I personally think it hinges on criminal. But there are no regulations in place on chemicals used in products pertaining to hygiene. Is that not ridiculous? You put this stuff on your hair every morning and nobody told you it is toxic. Not only is it soaking into your scalp, the fumes mixed with the steam in a hot shower are going into your lungs, nose, eyes and down your body as you rinse off.
When you hear the word “carcinogen”….be aware. This word means that the substance or element of the product is capable of causing a gene mutation towards cancer in living cells. That’s a big and very scary word.
Millions of mainstream products we think are safe because they are advertised on mainstream television, sold in mainstream stores and used in mainstream salons are SAFE. Wrong.
Let’s try and break down some of the carcinogenic elements found in mainstream hair care products.
- Ammonia: used in hair colors…contributes to irritation of the eyes, nose and respiratory system, skin, and throat. It is an allergen and a hormone disrupter
- 4-Dioxane: a chemical by-product causing liver and kidney toxicity. It’s used in shampoos and soaps and if you read your labels you will see it listed as Polyethylene, Polyethylene Glycol, and Diethylene ether…to name a few ways it’s labeled.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) is an emulsifier to create bubbles. It’s used in hair dyes, shampoos and conditioners. It’s toxic to the brain, liver, kidney, reproductive system, and hormone disruptor.
- FD & C colors: Used to artificially color a cosmetic product. Derived from petroleum. It irritates the skin, upsets hormone balance and is an allergen.
- Formaldehyde: Used as a preservative. Affects the brain, kidney, liver, hormones and is an allergen. It is found in hair color and shampoos and even sunscreen and soap
- Lead: Used as a color additive. Very toxic to the brain. Used in hair color
- Monoethanolamine (MEA) used to create bubbles and foam in Shampoos and conditioners. Is toxic to the brain, kidneys and liver. Also a hormone disruptor. I see this chemical in a lot of over the counter products. It is labeled as ETA, ethanolamine, B-Hydroxyethylamine and other foreign names.
- Paraben: Used as a preservative in a large variety of hair products. It disrupts hormones.
- Petrolatum: Used as a carrier for fragrances in a large number of hair products. Like all the others, it disrupts hormone balance. Listed as petroleum, petroleum jelly, mineral oil
- Phalate: Is a carrier for fragrance as well. In many hair products. Listed a multitude of ways to deceive. Hormone disruptor.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a foam producer in many soaps and shampoos. It is definitely a carcinogen. It actually opens the pores of your skin to help it enter the body more easily. Oh my goodness…that makes me angry.
There are many more chemicals you will find in hair care products. These are just a few. Can you see the link between all of these chemicals and all of the hormone related cancers that are on the rise. I.e. Breast, prostate, ovarian etc.
It’s no damn wonder the statistics now say that 1 in 2 people will get cancer. When mindlessly applying all of these chemicals on to your body every day of your life, it’s no wonder that so many people are being diagnosed with the big C.
As I have said before….I THINK IT IS CRIMINAL that regulators allow this stuff to enter our personal hygiene products. All of these chemicals are killing us.
If you care….scroll down to the Living Libations link and try the Seabuckthorn Shampoo and Conditioner. It’s pricier than conventional hair care. You only use a small amount each time you use it. I don’t know about you, but I personally think my body and health are worth every dollar needed to spend on trying to stay away from Cancer.