I fondly remember my Mom’s Layered Salad she would make when my large family would get together for a special occasion. When we learned that the dinner menu included her yummy Layered Salad we were all happy. My Mom’s version included bacon, cheese, sugar and mayonnaise, and eggs . It was so good. I have taken it to pot luck parties in the past.
Well, now that I am vegan, I have found a recipe for a healthier version of the Layered Salad. Even if you are not vegan, I know you will find this salad delicious.
Ingredients: (all of my ingredients are organic)
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- romaine hearts or a small head of green lettuce, rinsed and chopped into small bites
- 3 stalks of celery, thinly diced
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- chopped red, yellow or orange peppers
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced – you could use 5 green onions chopped if you prefer
- 1 cup of coconut or eggplant bacon
- 1 cup vegan cheddar, I like Daiya brand
- 1 1/2 cups vegan mayonnaise (I prefer soy free Veganaisse)
- 1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. pure maple syrup ( or other healthy sweetener)
Instructions: In a large baking dish with high sides, spread the chopped lettuce out evenly. Top with celery, peas, cabbage, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, onion and coconut or eggplant bacon. You can layer any veggies you like. Even add chickpeas or black olives for variation. The possibilities are endless.
In a mixing bowl, stir vegan mayo, lemon juice and maple syrup. Whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Top the salad with the dressing and spread it around with a spatula to evenly smooth it out. Sprinkle the top of the dressing with some more coconut bacon or eggplant bacon, and shredded vegan cheese. You could also garnish the top with diced onion or paprika if you like.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
My mouth is salivating just typing the recipe. Fresh and healthy.