It’s the end of one year and the beginning of another. Maybe this year you will finally take the leap needed to honour yourself. Hopefully this post today may give you some encouragement. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
“The pen that writes your life story must be held in your own hand.” – Irene C. Kassorla from Divine Spark
What great words to live by. You must live your life the way you want to and not let others dictate how you should live it. Write your own life story.
I realize you do have to conform to the laws and society norms in the grand scheme of life but when deciding how you want to live your life, the career you pick, how many children you want, where you want to live etc. These are all choices you have to make yourself or in union with your spouse or significant other.
Your life should be on your terms…so to speak. You hold ultimate control over the course of your life.
As I have gotten a bit older and a bit wiser I realize that I don’t have to do anything that doesn’t support or inspire me . If I’m invited to a social event and I don’t really want to go I’ve finally come to the place in my life where I’m comfortable saying “NO”. There’s no muss, no fuss, just “thank you for including me but I can’t be there”. It is kind of liberating to be able to respond that way. For years I followed the crowd to be “accepted”. Now that is the furthest from my mind. I’m accepted in my own head and I’m accepted by the people who share my space with me and that is all that really matters.
I use to compare myself to others, be self-depreciating and spend so much time fretting over the silliest of things. Now…..I am me…..I love me. I am finally writing my own life story.
I know the kind of people I want to spend my valuable time with. I know the events I want to partake in. I know how I want to spend my day. I know how I want to style myself. I know what kind of lifestyle I want to live, I am more confident then I’ve ever been. I just don’t have time to waste doing things I don’t want to do. I’ve taken charge over what I want to give my time and attention to.
Maybe this transformation has come to me since being diagnosed with a chronic disease such as MS. But I think I was already on this path long before that. It’s just that now I’m more in tune with what is really important. It may have been the diagnosis that pushed me over the top to my new and wonderful reality.
I’ve read some great books about honoring yourself and the following words ring true with “writing your own life story”.
Taken from a great website “Internal Acceptance Movement”
– Responsibility to yourself means honoring who your are. Valuing your feelings, your thoughts and your voice.
– It means respecting your body. Refusing to treat it as a commodity with which to purchase superficial validation and affection.
– Responsibility to yourself means having faith in yourself and your abilities. Refusing to sell yourself short. Believing in the beauty of your dreams and giving yourself the chance to make them come true
– Responsibility to yourself is nourishing your body and soul. Surrounding yourself with people who positively impact your life. Doing what you love, despite outside opinions. Following your heart.
– Share some of the love you give to others so willingly, with yourself. You are deserving of compassion and kindness. You are deserving of love.
No exceptions. Always.
What a wonderful pledge to make to yourself now that we are starting out a new year.
When you finish writing your own life story may it be on the bestseller’s list.