KARMA…is a Sanskrit word (language of Hinduism), a fundamental doctrine in Buddhism. Karma is the the psychological and spiritual residue of our previous actions.
Basically, nothing happens to a person that she/he does not deserve…if that is the right word.
“What goes around, comes around”. There is always a day of reckoning. Every choice we make adds to the strength or weakness of our souls.
When we act or speak we initiate a reaction to what we did or said.
In Buddhism, this Karma could be a result of what we did in our past life, reincarnate.
I recently read an article written by spirituality guru Steve Aitchison titled “12 Little Known Laws of Karma (that will change your life)”. I enjoyed reading it and thought it would be a good post to share with my readers. (I have shortened the article to just give you the key points from the article)
1. THE GREAT LAW: “As you sow, so shall you reap”. Also known as the “Law of Cause and Effect”. If what we want is happiness, peace, love and friendship then we should be happy, peaceful, loving and a true friend. What we put out there comes back to us.
2. THE LAW OF CREATION: Life doesn’t just happen. It requires our participation. Be yourself, and surround yourself with what you want to have in your life.
3. THE LAW OF HUMILITY: You can’t change what you won’t acknowledge.
4. THE LAW OF GROWTH: “Wherever you go, there you are.” For us to grow in spirit we must change and not the people or things around us. The only thing we have control over in our lives is ourselves. When we change who and what we are within our hearts, our lives will follow suit and change too.
5. THE LAW OF RESPONSIBILITY: Whenever there is something wrong in my life, there is something wrong with me. We mirror what surrounds us and what surrounds us mirrors us; this is the Universal truth. We must take responsibility for what is in our life.
6. THE LAW OF CONNECTION: Everything in the universe is connected. Each step leads to the next step, and so forth. Neither the first step or the last step are of greater significance as they were both needed to accomplish the task. Past, present and future are all connected.
7. THE LAW OF FOCUS: You cannot think of two things at the same time. Because of this, when our focus is on spiritual values, it is impossible to have lower thoughts as greed or anger.
8. THE LAW OF GIVING: If you believe in something then sometime in your life you will be called upon to demonstrate that truth. Kind of like “practice what you preach”.
9. THE LAW OF HERE AND NOW: Stop looking behind you at what has gone in the past and stop worrying about what the future holds. Doing this prevents us from living in the present. We must be fully engaged in the here and now. Old thoughts and behaviours and old dreams prevent us from having new ones.
10. THE LAW OF CHANGE: History repeats itself until we learn the lessons that we need to change our path. (Thank goodness, my sweetie and I have learned and changed our path).
11. THE LAW OF PATIENCE AND REWARD: All rewards require initial toil. True joy comes from doing what we are suppose to be doing and knowing that the reward will come to us in it’s own time. ( I use change from poor lifestyle habits to good lifestyle habits and the benefits rewarded to my health as a good example of this).
12. THE LAW OF SIGNIFICANCE AND INSPIRATION: You get back from something what you have put into it. True value of something is a direct result of the energy and intent put into it. Loving contributions bring life to and inspire the Whole!
A great quote relating to KARMA from an UNKNOWN author….
“Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”